Birago Barrack

Trainingscenter of the army

[Translate to English:] © Foto: Felix Höbarth

The Viennese architects Siegfried Theiss (1882-1963) and Hans Jaksch (1879-1970) created several high-quality buildings in Melk between 1907 and 1913.

The Eichamt, a two-story chancery and residential building erected in 1908/09 in the Heimatstil, has remained almost unchanged to this day. From 1910 to 1913, the architect duo built the Birago barracks in a pavilion system as an urban counterpoint to the dominant abbey building.